1. is not very important to show empathy in the first minutes of a phone call with a PNC. T/F = F
2. Choose the statement below that offers the BEST explanation of empathy.
- Sympathy for the PNC
- *Ability to put yourself in another person’s shoes – CORRECT
- Agreement with the PNC’s explanation of who is at fault in their situation
- Using kind, supportive words and phrases when talking with a PNC
3. One of the things you can do to express empathy more effectively is:
- Try to see things from the PNC’s point of view. – CORRECT
- Tell the PNC “that happens a lot”
- Share your or your relative’s similar situation with the PNC
- Listen to the PNC’s complaints about their problem
4. Empathy promotes a connection that helps build a positive PNC/law firm relationship. T/F = T
5. In the video, Jay Jackson mentioned that when it comes to not showing empathy, which of the following may result. Choose two (2) items of the following four (4) choices.
- You won’t get the intake form filled out
- You may not make a connection with the PNC – CORRECT
- The PNC may not be willing to sign a contract – CORRECT
- You may not get the correct information from the PNC
6. The expression, “walking in another’s shoes” is a commonly used way of describing sympathy. T/F = F
7. If one of your fellow Intake Specialists tells you that he/she scored 49 on the Empathy Test (the one that you were assigned to take), what would be the MOST appropriate response for you to make?
- That’s fabulous!
- I wouldn’t let anyone know if I were you!
- *I hope you can do something about that!– CORRECT
- What a shame!
8. Which of the following phrases are helpful to use to actually start expressing empathy to the PNC? Check all that apply.
- * “That sounds like a terrible situation.” – CORRECT
- “Let me read that back to you.”
- “They said what?”
- * “I can imagine that this might seem like the bottom’s fallen out . . .” – CORRECT
- “On what date did this happen?”
- * “How did that make you feel?” – CORRECT
- “Did you get her information?”
- * “Oh, my, that’s awful!” – CORRECT
9. Enter the LETTER of the graphic that BEST illustrates the relationship between the potential new client’s (PNC’s) legal problem and empathy.
Correct answer will be graphic A